Looking for work in the anti-violence sector? Check out the postings below for paid jobs and volunteer opportunities.
Employers: We welcome postings from anti-violence programs across BC. Please click on the link in the top right corner to submit a job posting or a volunteer opportunity you have to offer. All submissions must be accompanied by complete contact information.
Your notice will be posted as soon as possible after we receive it, and will remain on our site until the application deadline. If the deadline is extended or the job is re-posted, please email us to update your posting.
- Executive Director
- Agency / Organization
- Island Women Against Violence
- Contact name
- Philippa Tattersall
- Box 376
- Salt Spring Island
- British Columbia
- Postal Code
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
ISLAND WOMEN AGAINST VIOLENCE
SALT SPRING ISLAND, B.C.
Island Women Against Violence (IWAV) is seeking a new Executive Director to lead our non-profit organization that provides services throughout the Southern Gulf Islands to women and children affected by poverty, violence, and abuse. Our services include affordable housing to those in financial need, transitional and second stage housing to those fleeing violence, 24-hour violence and abuse help line, women’s outreach services, counselling, and a social enterprise store.
We are seeking a skilled and dynamic Executive Director (ED) whose values align with ours to lead IWAV in the fulfillment of its vision, mission, and objectives by implementing our Strategic Plan. We expect the ED to thrive in a role that is both strategic and operational and be passionate about work that positively impacts our community and many people’s lives.
Governed by a multi-disciplinary policy Board of Directors, IWAV focuses on providing personalized, professional services to its clients by our experienced staff team which has an excellent range of skills, knowledge, and experience. The ED works collaboratively with the Board, staff, volunteers and stakeholders to implement the Operational Plan and guide work that supports the development and delivery of effective programs and services.
• Master’s degree in a related field or equivalent combination of training, experience and education
• solid working knowledge and understanding of violence against women and children
• minimum of 5 years’ leadership and management experience
• experience working with a Board of Directors
• experience in expanding funding sources, developing and a donor base, soliciting donations, leading revenue generating initiatives, proposal writing and grant applications
• excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
• effective facilitation and conflict resolution skills
• proven management competencies including team leadership and building strategic partnerships
• human resources experience including familiarity with employee labour law, working with public sector unions, employee recruitment, retention and termination.
• proven ability to supervise and support staff and volunteers
• demonstrated success in fiscal management skills including budgeting, financial plans, financial statements and managing government funding contracts
• computer and social media skills including Microsoft programs, Facebook and Instagram
• understand how housing issues relates to violence and abuse of women
• experience working in a similar community-based organization
• marketing experience from creating a plan to implementing effective outcomes
Accountable to the Board of Directors, and working with a staff team, the ED works within the framework of planning and policies to ensure IWAV fulfills its mandate and purpose. Key responsibilities include:
• know and adhere to IWAV’s mandate, mission, vision, ethics, organization, structure, policies, procedures, and standards of practice
• develop an Operational Plan annually in consultation with staff to implement the IWAV Strategic Plan
• work with the Board of Directors to provide sound fiscal management of IWAV
• prepare annual budgets in collaboration with program staff for Board approval
• research, develop and submit funding proposals and applications for funding with Board approval
• personnel management including overseeing recruitment, hiring, orientation, training, supervision, support and annual evaluation of staff
Program Service Delivery:
• ensure all programs and services comply with contractual parameters while delivering a high quality of client-based services
• maintain up to date knowledge of issues related to poverty and violence against women and children including housing and share information with staff
Community Liaison and Public Relations:
• develop and maintain cooperative relationships with key stakeholders including other community agencies, service providers and government agencies
• oversee all external communications in conjunction with the Board Chair relative to IWAV programming and services
Other responsibilities are consistent with the role of an Executive Director.
Terms and Conditions
Location: Salt Spring Island, British Columbia
Full-time position of 40 hours per week. This position requires the ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings to accommodate activities such as Board meetings and representing IWAV at public events.
Salary starting at $70,000 to &75,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. We offer a benefit package.
Probationary period of 6 months.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain a satisfactory Criminal record (Children and Vulnerable Adults) and personal credit checks before hiring.
How to apply
Interested candidates can email a résumé, cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications and the names of three references as a single PDF file to email@example.com We will not contact references without prior approval. We will give priority to complete applications received by Friday, August 2, 2019. Short listed applicants will be required to write a response to a question relating to our Strategic Plan.
This document is intended to provide information and is not a contractual document. Therefore, some of the material may be subject to change.
Thank you to all applicants in advance. We will be in contact only with those selected for an interview.
- Closing Date