Looking for work in the anti-violence sector? Check out the postings below for paid jobs and volunteer opportunities.
Employers: We welcome postings from anti-violence programs across BC. Please click on the link in the top right corner to submit a job posting or a volunteer opportunity you have to offer. All submissions must be accompanied by complete contact information.
Your notice will be posted as soon as possible after we receive it, and will remain on our site until the application deadline. If the deadline is extended or the job is re-posted, please email us to update your posting.
- Children's Trauma Counsellor
- Agency / Organization
- SOS-Surpassing Our Survival (Sexual Assault Centre)
- Contact name
- Angela Gallant
- Children's Program Coordinator
- 193 Quebec St.
- Prince George
- British Columbia
- Postal Code
- Surpassing Our Survival (SOS Society) is a non-profit organization that provides counselling and support services in a safe and supportive environment for individuals, families and groups. SOS Society supports women, children and men to overcome the impact of sexual violence. We are a feminist agency providing trauma informed services and advocacy for societal change that does not tolerate oppression, exploitation or violence in any form.
We are seeking a sexual trauma counsellor for our Kids Konnection program in Prince George BC. This position is full time at 35 hours per week and serves children age 3 – 13, under the supervision of the Executive Director and the Kid’s Konnection Program Coordinator. The counselling services are focused on the best interests of the child, individualized and evidence-based utilizing credible assessment tools and a treatment plan designed in accordance with the unique needs and potential of each child and his/her family, siblings and/or care caregiver. The counsellor will be following outcomes based upon the SAIP Contract held with the Ministry of Children and Family Development, focused on interventions, risk reductions and capacity building.
• Provide trauma assessment to determine objectives and counselling goals
• Provide client-centered counselling using best practice treatment approaches
• Liaison and network with other service providers for multidisciplinary case management and/or referral purposes
• To provide a variety of approaches determined by the occurrence of sexual violence, and/or sexually intrusive behaviours, and/or without disclosure of sexual abuse
• Culturally relevant practices are supported and encouraged
• Provide prevention and risk education activities through information and support services to non-offending parents, caregivers and siblings
• Primary community educator and liaison in respect to child sexual abuse issues
• To develop and coordinate presentations, workshops, lectures and training determined by needs of the community - Participate on at least one community committee specific to child trauma
• Maintain an awareness of the political climate and its potential impact on the population served through the children’s program
• Advocate for needs of the program both in house and in the community
Qualifications and Education:
• Complete a Criminal Record Check
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Therapeutic and clinical experience related to sexual violence from a feminist, trauma-informed framework
• Crisis intervention, excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Research and record keeping
• Community development and organization, group process and facilitation
• Knowledge of community based programs, services and related provincial and community support systems
• Proven ability to work cooperatively with service providers in the community
• Problem identification/conflict resolution, knowledge of the justice system
• Knowledge in poverty, mental health, Child and Family Services Act, education system
• Priority will be given to applicants from indigenous ancestry groups or from under represented culture groups
• Three month probationary period
• Adheres to constitution, philosophy, code of ethics, policies and procedures of the Society
• Signs and adheres to Oath of Confidentiality
Submit cover letter and resume outlining interest, related experience and qualifications to email@example.com or by fax 250-563-8303.
This position closes February 2, 2018 at 4:30pm PST
- (250) 564-8302
- Closing Date