Looking for work in the anti-violence sector? Check out the postings below for paid jobs and volunteer opportunities.
Employers: We welcome postings from anti-violence programs across BC. Please click on the link in the top right corner to submit a job posting or a volunteer opportunity you have to offer. All submissions must be accompanied by complete contact information.
Your notice will be posted as soon as possible after we receive it, and will remain on our site until the application deadline. If the deadline is extended or the job is re-posted, please email us to update your posting.
- Stopping the Violence Counsellor
- Agency / Organization
- Ishtar Transition Housing Society
- Contact name
- Elizabeth Fricker
- HR Manager
- 101 6350 203rd St
- British Columbia
- Postal Code
- V2Y 1L9
- Competition #: 2018-02 External
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: Grid Level 14-P ($25.74 – 26.98)
Hours: 2 days per week: Temporary position ending December 31st 2018. It is hoped that funding will be secured to continue after this date.
Location: Administration Office, 6350 203rd St, Langley
Reports to: Program Coordinator
The Stopping the Violence (STV) Counsellor is responsible for providing individual and group counselling to women who have experienced intimate partner violence/abuse, sexual assault, and/or childhood abuse. She embeds a strong feminist analysis of gender-based violence and intersections with race, colonization, culture, class, ability, sexual orientation, and age in her practices. This position focuses on short-term crisis counselling and is responsible for managing all new referrals.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Accepts new referrals and completes intake assessments with women
• Maintains wait list, completes weekly intake reports, and receives incoming women’s counselling calls
• Develops, implements, and evaluates counseling plans in collaboration with women, focusing on short term stage one counselling goals
• Maintains client files and prepares monthly reports
• Connects women to relevant resources, facilitates referrals, and liaises with local agencies providing related services
• May include co-facilitation of group counseling sessions
• Participates in intra- and inter-agency case conferences, as well as regular clinical supervision sessions
• Works as a part of the Ishtar Society team by staying informed, attending scheduled staff meetings where possible, and nurturing respectful working relationships with colleagues
• Has counselling practices that are consistent with the principles established for counselling professionals in BC/Canada (BCACC, CCPA, BCAMFT, BCASW)
• Two years recent related counselling experience
• Related post-secondary undergraduate degree or diploma or extensive work-related experience under qualified supervision and participation in related continuing education programs
• Some formal counselling training required; graduate level training preferred
• Knowledgeable and skilled in feminist counseling practices through a trauma-informed and/or response-based practice lens
• Intersectional feminist perspective, ability to work independently and in a team, strong time management skills, empathy, and excellent verbal and written communication skills
• High degree of self-awareness and cultural competence, including the ability to adapt approaches to the cultural needs and practices of each woman
• Capacity to understand and adhere to confidentiality, policies, regulations, and procedures. Ability to be highly discreet, at all times, and to respect women’s privacy
• A thorough understanding of relevant systems and supports for women, including gaps and barriers to services and resources
• Fluency in other language(s) in addition to English an asset
• Acceptable criminal record clearance
• Current First Aid and CPR certification with St Johns or Red Cross or affiliates
Additional Information: This position requires Union membership.
Please send cover letter, explaining how you meet these qualifications, and current resume to Elizabeth Fricker, HR and Admin Manager at Elizabeth.email@example.com
No phone calls please. Only those selected for interview will be contacted. The posting will close when the position is filled.