Position: Educational Outreach Program Lead – Term Certain (1 year)
Reports to: Manager of Social Change, Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre
Program/Department: Social Change
Full-Time: 35hr/week, 4 days per week (Schedule can change to accommodate operational needs.)
Pay rate: $26.50/hr
This is a U5 Step 1 rate as per the salary scale as stated in the Collective Agreement between Salal Sexual Violence Support Centreand MoveUP (COPE, Local 378).
- Union: This is a Unionized position. Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre’s Union Representation is with MoveUP, (COPE, Local 378).
- Remote Working: This is a hybrid position with availability for remote and in office/in person work based on program needs and as directed by management
Benefits: While salary is an important part of our total compensation, Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre also provides employees with many other valuable elements starting on the first day of employment, including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life & Disability Coverage
- Wellness Program
- Paid Time Off
- Flexible scheduling
- Supportive culture
- Professional development (after 6 months of employment)
Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre is seeking someone with intersectional feminist values and experience in education and outreach to fill the position of Educational Outreach Program Lead. Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre encourages Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and people of marginalized genders to apply. We encourage, but do not require, members of these communities to self-identify in their cover letters.
The Educational Outreach Program Lead will be responsible for the coordination and execution of Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre’s Educational Outreach Program. The Program aims to raise public awareness of the impacts of sexualized violence as well as Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre’s trauma-informed services for survivors of sexualized violence. The Educational Outreach Program Lead will coordinate the Program’s development, design, execution and evaluation. As part of the social change team, the EO lead will collaborate on various related projects and contribute to Salal’s advocacy for equity-denied groups. They will also be responsible for providing training and support to Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre staff and volunteers as representatives of the organization. In partnership with the Manager of Social Change, this position will build and nurture strategic relationships with local communities, social justice-based organizations, and other stakeholders. The Educational Outreach Program Lead will provide support and direction to Salal staff and volunteers on education and outreach activities.
Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre is a feminist, anti-oppressive, decolonizing not-for-profit organization who changes society through advocacy, outreach and education. Operating on unceded Coast Salish Territories, Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre advocates for and provides counselling and victim services support to survivors of all marginalized genders who have experienced violence in intimate relationships, sexual assault, and/or childhood sexual abuse. Committed to being aware of and mitigating the power dynamics informed by intersectional identities, Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre staff are called to enhance connections and collaboration and promote an atmosphere of safety in all aspects of their work. Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre staff believe in and model the values of capacity building, connection and relational competence through empathy, compassion, curiosity and assertive communication.
Program Design and Evaluation
- Work with the Manager of Social Change to develop a strategic direction for Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre’s Educational Outreach Program that will enhance and ensure effective delivery of community initiatives
- Build on, update and create new Educational content for Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre
- Creates content for Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre’s website and social media
- Leads the Educational Outreach Program design, administration, and evaluation, involving all relevant stakeholders
- Develops a detailed project plan to monitor and track progress
- Provide orientation, training, support and supervision to Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre staff and volunteers as required for the successful preparation and delivery of outreach services
- Oversees and implements the program evaluation criteria and framework, assessing risks and elevating issues, as required
- Proactively seeks insight into workshop content from Salal program staff
- Hosts an advisory committee on LGBTQ2S+ relationship violence for the Safechoices workshop series
- Supports other team members, and external facilitators within the Educational Outreach Program
- Coordinate the provision of public education, in the form of workshops, panels, etc., to raise awareness of sexualized violence within an intersectional feminist framework
- Develop and nurture strategic community relationships for the purposes of public education, alliance-building and community organizing for social change
- Ensures the Safe Choices and Vancouver Foundation projects and their outputs are planned, managed and delivered in accordance with agreed upon work-plans and objectives
- Collate and submit monthly and yearly reports, including statistical information, on the Educational Outreach Program to the Manager of Social Change
- Tracks program performance, specifically to analyze the successful completion of short- and long-term goals
- Leads change to the program scope, schedule and cost
- Ensures appropriate fiscal administration
- Tracks project spending and ensures resource allocations are made in accordance with the project budget and plan
- Attend all required Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre team meetings (e.g. staff meetings, training)
- Participate on a minimum of one Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre committee
- Provide support and guidance to team members and/or volunteers within area through work assignment, guidance, and monitoring
- Participate in supervised settings with Manager of Social Change as required
- Participate in yearly performance appraisal
- Ensure responsible use of Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre resources
- Adhere to all Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre policies and procedures
- Perform other related duties as required by the Manager of Social Change
- Effectively articulate Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre’s political messages both in written submissions and public domains and use a feminist intersectional analysis to link them to current affairs and issues
- Participate in Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre initiatives, events, social justice activities and other related community work
Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre acknowledges that our work environment is directly impacted by all forms of oppression and the impact of colonialism. In this role, the Educational Outreach Program Lead will almost always witness the impact that violence has on Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre’s service users and, by extension, the staff.
The role’s pace of work is not always controlled by the employee. This position is almost always faced with multiple demands/tasks with time pressures to finish.
Consequences of Error/Judgement
This position requires judgment, tact, discretion, and initiative. Poor judgement or ineffective communications with relevant institutions, community partners, and clients could result in strained relations that compromise the effectiveness and credibility of Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline, such as Women’s Studies, Psychology, or Social Work; or equivalent combination of experience and education
- 3-5 years of related experience
- Experience initiating and maintaining relationships with community organizations. An established network of social justice-based organizations is an asset
- Experience working with survivors of all marginalized genders who have experienced sexualized violence within an intersectional feminist framework
- Experience with event coordination and public speaking
- Excellent judgment, particularly in relation to personnel, finance, governance, public relations, and risk management
- Flexibility to perform other job requirements as assigned
- Satisfactory completion of a criminal record check with vulnerable populations. Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre recognizes that there can be stigma surrounding people’s criminal history. To avoid perpetuating shame, Salal
Sexual Violence Support Centre will not consider crimes around drug offences, sex work, property offences, or poverty-related offences as relevant in determining a candidate’s suitability for a role.
Skills & Knowledge
- Committed to the ongoing development of feminist, anti-oppression, decolonizing practice
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and motivate a multi-disciplinary team
- Champions positive working relationships with a diverse set of colleagues and external stakeholders
- Able to identify, mediate and resolve conflict respectfully and nimbly. Believes in building capacity and delivering the best level of service to survivors and clients
- Is an effective decision maker able to assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks. Can execute on decisions in Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre’s best interests
- Able to set goals, create and implement action plans, monitor progress towards goals and the process and results
- Listens well and encourage open exchange of information and ideas using appropriate communication
- Able to identify problems and demonstrate resourcefulness and creativity in solving them
Please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter by end of day (5pm) on January 23rd, 2024
You can apply through the following link: https://salalsvsc.bamboohr.com/careers/69
by email to email@example.com
The posting will remain open until the position has been filled. Please note that only those short-listed will be contacted for interview.