Hours: Part-Time, 14 hours per week
Salary: $25.50 per hour
Location: On-site (Vancouver Downtown) in the first 3 months and/or combination of on-site and remote.
Shift schedule: This position requires a mixed or rotating schedule of day shift and afternoon/evening shift, with one (1) minimum weekend shift within a seven-day period. Day shift starts from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm and afternoon/evening shift starts from 12:30 pm to 8:00 pm. Weekend shift starts from 10:00 am to 5:30 pm.
Established in 1994, Seniors First BC Society (SFBC) is a charitable, non-profit society that provides information, legal advocacy, and support to older adults across BC who are dealing with issues affecting their well-being. SFBC provides free help to older adults through 6 programs: Seniors Abuse and Information Line (SAIL), Victim Services Program, Education and Outreach Program, Elder Law Clinic, Legal Advocacy Program, and Advance Planning Clinic.
The Seniors Abuse and Information Line (SAIL) is a provincial helpline that provides a safe place for older adults, and those who care about them, to talk to someone about situations where they feel they are being abused or mistreated, or to receive information about elder awareness prevention. SAIL operates 7 days a week (except statutory holidays) between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm. Intake Workers must be available for shift assignments during these hours, including on weekends.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answer SAIL during assigned times and assess callers’ needs; provide inquirers with information and assistance on elder abuse identification, response and prevention; and refers callers to the legal and victim service programs of Seniors First BC and to external resources;
- Provide callers with emotional and practical support to assist them with the impacts of elder abuse, neglect and self-neglect;
- Assess needs of callers to determine appropriate referrals, assisted referrals and/or need for additional supports and services;
- Document and maintain appropriate records and information for all calls received at SAIL and complete intake to the legal and victim services programs, as appropriate;
- Maintain positive working relationships with external agencies to facilitate coordination, minimize service duplication, and maximize effective referrals across agencies;
- Attend SAIL and staff meetings as required; and
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by the Manager of SAIL and Victim Services Programs and Seniors First BC Executive Director.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- A Diploma or Degree in Social Services, Gerontology, or equivalent experience.
- Must have minimum 2 years’ paid or volunteer experience on a telephone helpline for older adults or vulnerable populations.
- Excellent skills in call handling, interviewing and assessing callers’ needs over the phone.
- Skilled in navigating complex situations and providing information, support and referrals on issues involving abuse, neglect and self-neglect and other issues that impact older adults.
- Knowledge of issues affecting older adults, particularly abuse, neglect and self-neglect, including legislation, resources and services for seniors.
- Empathy and confidence in supporting older adults, including the ability to remain calm under pressure and demonstrate diplomacy and tact.
- Understanding of trauma-informed approach and working with marginalized communities.
- Cultural competency and ability to work with older adults from various cultural communities.
- Competency working in Microsoft Office programs. Experience with data entry an asset.
- Fluency in English language, verbally and in writing. Knowledge of a second language is an advantage.
- A Criminal Record Check (in Vulnerability Sector) is required.
Reports to: Manager, Seniors Abuse and Information Line
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to: Human Resources, Seniors First BC Society
Please include the text “SAIL Intake Worker” in the subject line of your email.
Closing date: The posting will remain open until a suitable candidate has been recruited.
We thank all applicants for taking interest and applying for this position. Only those offered an interview will be contacted.